List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jake Maul Date:November 15 2008 8:20pm
Subject:Re: Server Setup Question
View as plain text
I see that you've already decided on 64-bit anyway, but here's a more
explicit reason to do so: in 32-bit (PAE-mode), no single process can
allocate more than 4GB of memory- that's all the address space there
is. The *system* can see it all, but each process can only work with a
single 4GB chunk of it.

Therefore MySQL, being single-process (multi-threaded), can only use
4GB of memory on a 32-bit platform. So unless you'd be doing something
else with that other 12-24GB of RAM, you'd effectively be flushing
money down the drain to put in more than 4-5GB. Even then, there's
lots of overhead involved with PAE mode, so if you actually have more
than 4GB of memory 64-bit will almost always be faster (as far as the
hardware is concerned).

Jake