List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:November 14 2008 3:24pm
Subject:RE: normalised designs: customer database
View as plain text
>-----Original Message-----
>From: metastable [mailto:listpit@stripped]
>Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:49 AM
>To: mysql
>Subject: normalised designs: customer database

[JS] My first suggestion, and I am entirely sincere, is that you use either
an off the shelf solution or an external service. I inherited a home-grown
system and it is a perpetual pain in the neck. It never has done what we
really need to do, although it's been getting closer.

In a former life I was a consultant, and I always discouraged customers from
building when buying would suffice. Of course, every company in the world
has unique needs - or so they claim. :-(.

2) create the customer table with a column specifying if we're dealing
>with a human being or a company
[JS] I recommend this.

>3) create the customer table with a FK for people and a FK for
>companies, and decide on the customer type in the application based on
>the presence of that key

[JS] I'm not sure why you need a foreign key. Surely you won't be entering
customers using the MySQL CLI client on a routine basis, so your user
interface could (and should) be responsible for checking the data.

If you really feel the need to constrain the data, define the column as a
set.

Thread
normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMark Goodge14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMr. Shawn H. Corey14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasePeter Brawley14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable15 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard15 Nov
        • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable16 Nov
          • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz17 Nov
            • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseBill newton14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov