List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mr. Shawn H. Corey Date:November 14 2008 2:48pm
Subject:Re: normalised designs: customer database
View as plain text
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 14:30 +0000, Mark Goodge wrote:
> I wouldn't try to arbitrarily normalise the database for SQL
> efficiency.
> In a real-life situation, it's more important that the database
> design
> reflects your actual workflow and business requirements. Having a
> field
> that's empty 50% or more of the time is far less of a problem than
> not
> being able to process a sale because your database structure is too
> inflexible :-)

I agree.  Remember hardware is cheap, software expensive.  It's always
cheaper to add more hard disks than it is to create the software to deal
with an inflexible design.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

The map is not the territory,
the dossier is not the person,
the model is not reality,
and the universe is indifferent to your beliefs.

Thread
normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMark Goodge14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMr. Shawn H. Corey14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasePeter Brawley14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable15 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard15 Nov
        • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable16 Nov
          • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz17 Nov
            • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseBill newton14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov