List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Gainty Date:November 13 2008 8:02pm
Subject:RE: is INSERT into VIEW supported
View as plain text
generally no as join conditions do not guarantee
1)the column to be inserted is unique
2)the column is updatable
//Create a View based on 2 tables joined on location+id
CREATE VIEW locations_view AS
   SELECT d.department_id, d.department_name, l.location_id, l.city
   FROM departments d, locations l
   WHERE d.location_id = l.location_id;

//find out which columns are updateable from the view
SELECT column_name, updatable
   FROM user_updatable_columns
   WHERE table_name = 'LOCATIONS_VIEW';

//The location_id is not updateable from this view (inserts will fail)
COLUMN_NAME                    UPD
------------------------------ ---
DEPARTMENT_ID                  YES
DEPARTMENT_NAME                YES
LOCATION_ID                    NO
CITY                           NO

//Attempts at inserting/updating location_id will error out

In the preceding example, the primary key index on the location_id column of the locations
table is not unique in the locations_view view. Therefore, locations is not a
key-preserved table and columns from that base table are not updatable.
INSERT INTO locations_view VALUES
   (999, 'Entertainment', 87, 'Roma');
INSERT INTO locations_view VALUES
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01776: cannot modify more than one base table through a join view

//department_id and department_name are updateable so DML operations will work
You can insert, update, or delete a row from the departments base table, because all the
columns in the view mapping to the departments table are marked as updatable and because
the primary key of departments is retained in the view.

INSERT INTO locations_view (department_id, department_name)
   VALUES (999, 'Entertainment');

1 row created.

This information is available via Oracle 10G documentation from Stanford University
http://stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/server.101
Dziękuję
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content
contained within this transmission.