List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:November 11 2008 3:21pm
Subject:Re: Tuning a MySQL desktop database
View as plain text
Rohit,

RP Khare wrote:
> We are testing MySQL in production environment with real data. When the application
> is ready and all tests have been conducted well, we will finally migrate to MySQL
> Enterprise.
>
> At present our application is running on a desktop machine with MySQL 5.1 Community
> Edition installed on it. MySQL 5.1 is using default settings.
>
> Machine is: Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM.
>
> What settings I need to change to tune MySQL?

I really do not want to offend you, but the question is silly.

If there were some way to definitely improve MySQL's performance without
causing any drawbacks or problems, it would be used in the default settings.

Default settings are meant to be usable for many installations, but
cannot be optimum for all. Users can leave them as provided and start
running their application, watch them, and check whether there are some
bottlenecks.
Once they see these, they can change the settings so as to avoid or at
least reduce these bottlenecks (as much as the hardware permits).

We readers here will never know what your bottlenecks are unless you
tell us. It might be cache sizes, number of concurrent users, select
strategies, ...

The only general remark I dare make: 256 MB may be very little RAM for
most database servers, will be sufficient only if you have few users,
not much data, or can tolerate slow response times.

Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  Joerg.Bruehe@stripped
Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Sonnenallee 1,   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten

Thread
Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseRP Khare9 Nov
  • Re: Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseSalah Nait-Mouloud9 Nov
    • RE: Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseMartin Gainty9 Nov
  • Re: Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseJoerg Bruehe11 Nov
    • RE: Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseRP Khare11 Nov
      • Re: Tuning a MySQL desktop databaseJake Maul11 Nov
RE: Tuning a MySQL desktop databasemos12 Nov