List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:October 30 2008 5:05am
Subject:Re: "lost connection to mysql server during query" errors
View as plain text
At 10:21 PM 10/29/2008, you wrote:
>I've never had a lot of luck tracking down this sort of problem. One
>thing I've found to be a good first step is to add each server
>involved to the other server's /etc/hosts file (and restart MySQL so
>it notices).
>
>Don't have much more to offer other than the usual suspects: recent
>versions, persistent vs. non-persistent connections, etc. A long shot
>would be to make sure your always talking to the same database server-
>if you're doing, say, DNS round-robin or load balancing or something,
>maybe you're getting shunted to a different db server and it's killing
>the connection... don't know what your setup is. Another long shot in
>a multi-db-server config would be to make sure they all have different
>server ID's.
>
>Good luck... hopefully someone else has better advice :)
>
>Jake

Just a guess, but maybe it's your network card?

I'm using MySQL 5.01 with MyISAM tables and my application will
occasionally hang for hours in the midst of executing a simple 1 table
Select statement. I usually end up killing the program. There are no
processes running on the MySQL server. I think the problem was the number
of connections the program created. Although there were only at most 10
simultaneous connections, my program when the query finished executing, it
threw the connection away and recreated a new one for each query, and MySQL
reported there were some 10k connections made to the server. I ended up
using connection pooling and now the number of connections reaches a high
of around 10 and I haven't had the problem since.

Mike