List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Stevens Date:October 29 2008 6:15pm
Subject:when calling mysql_real_connect from the c api, I get a malloc()
memory corruption error.
View as plain text  
ello,
I am encountering a problem I just can't seem to figure out and I am out of ideas. I can
compile and run fine on one linux box running Mysql 5.1.23-rc, but as soon as I scp the
binary and its required libs to another machine which has identical hardware and only a
slightly upgraded distro (but also running 5.1.23-rc), I get a glibc malloc(): memory
corruption: *** error, which traces back to the mysql_real_connect() call. I ran ldd -v
on the binary on both machines and there are some differences, but they don't look
important. I have run this binary on other machines before with no issues.

I can connect to the database on the troubled machine both locally from the client and
through my program from a different machine, but my program craps out when I run it
locally on this new box. What could be going wrong? The database connection is one of the
first things the program does- before we do any significant allocation of memory, so I
really do not believe that this is a problem with my program (it has also been
continually tested with many different data sets).

I checked the bug database and this forum and could not find any relevant information, if
you have any ideas, please let me know! Below is the output from my program, and the code
I am using to connect- am I doing something wrong there? If there is any more information
I can provide, please let me know.

Thank you,
-Kevin



Program output
==============

Starting Engine...
Reading Control Data
Using configfile: /some.ini
Populating Data from Database...
DB Connection Handle is null, going to create a new connection!
We have created the handle... initializing.
We have initialized the handle, connecting...
Connecting with parameters: Server: localhost Login: root Pass: XXXXX DBDatabase: mismiats
*** glibc detected *** ./ksMismi2.out: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00000000011d4b40 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x7f8f6919da14]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x90)[0x7f8f6919f360]
libmysqlclient.so.16(my_malloc+0x32)[0x7f8f6a6a5032]
libmysqlclient.so.16(vio_new+0x2f)[0x7f8f6a6cd15f]
libmysqlclient.so.16(mysql_real_connect+0xe43)[0x7f8f6a6c9fe3]
./ksMismi2.out[0x51671e]
./ksMismi2.out[0x51678b]
./ksMismi2.out[0xd5cd68]
./ksMismi2.out[0x57d32e]
./ksMismi2.out[0x57dc41]
./ksMismi2.out[0x49a251]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4)[0x7f8f691471c4]
./ksMismi2.out(__gxx_personality_v0+0x1c2)[0x4994ea]
======= Memory map: ========
00400000-01012000 r-xp 00000000 fe:00 2048027 /usr/local/engine/bin/ksMismi2.out
01112000-011a9000 rwxp 00c12000 fe:00 2048027 /usr/local/engine/bin/ksMismi2.out
011a9000-011f3000 rwxp 011a9000 00:00 0 [heap]
7f8f60000000-7f8f60021000 rwxp 7f8f60000000 00:00 0
7f8f60021000-7f8f64000000 ---p 7f8f60021000 00:00 0
7f8f64c30000-7f8f64c3a000 r-xp 00000000 fe:00 1171488 /lib/libnss_files-2.7.so
7

[.... snipped... ]

7fff72b7d000-7fff72b92000 rwxp 7ffffffea000 00:00 0 [stack]
7fff72bfe000-7fff72c00000 r-xp 7fff72bfe000 00:00 0 [vdso]
ffffffffff600000-ffffffffff601000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0 [vsyscall]




Code
======


MYSQL* dbConn::getDBConnectionHandle ()
{
my_bool reconn = 1;

if (DBconnectionHandle != NULL)
{
while ( !mysql_real_connect( DBconnectionHandle, DBServer.c_str(), DBLogin.c_str(),
DBPassword.c_str(), DBDatabase.c_str(), DBPort, NULL, CLIENT_MULTI_STATEMENTS) ) //Client
multi statements used for batched inserts of trades.
{
cout << "ERROR: Connecting to MYSQL. ERROR Reported from Server is: " <<
mysql_error(DBconnectionHandle) << endl;
}

mysql_options( DBconnectionHandle, MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT, (const char*)&reconn ); //
must do twice, bug in mysql lib

return DBconnectionHandle;
}
else
cout << "DB Connection Handle is null, going to create a new connection!" <<
endl;

DBconnectionHandle = new MYSQL();
cout << "We have created the handle... initializing. " << endl;

if ( mysql_init(DBconnectionHandle) == NULL )
{
cout << "ERROR: initializing connection handle: Error from Mysql: " <<
mysql_error(DBconnectionHandle) << endl;
return NULL;
}

cout << "We have initialized the handle, connecting..." << endl;
cout << "Connecting with parameters: Server: " << DBServer << " Login: "
<< DBLogin << " Pass: " << DBPassword << " DBDatabase: " <<
DBDatabase << endl;


mysql_options( DBconnectionHandle, MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT, (const char*)&reconn );

while ( !mysql_real_connect( DBconnectionHandle, DBServer.c_str(), DBLogin.c_str(),
DBPassword.c_str(), DBDatabase.c_str(), DBPort, NULL, CLIENT_MULTI_STATEMENTS) ) //Client
multi statements used for batched inserts of trades.
{
cout << "ERROR: Connecting to MYSQL. ERROR Reported from Server is: " <<
mysql_error(DBconnectionHandle) << endl;
}

mysql_options( DBconnectionHandle, MYSQL_OPT_RECONNECT, (const char*)&reconn ); //
must do twice, bug in mysql lib
cout << "We have connected.... " << endl;
return DBconnectionHandle;
}


Version Info for mysql: Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.23-rc, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using
readline 5.1

Thread
when calling mysql_real_connect from the c api, I get a malloc()memory corruption error.Kevin Stevens29 Oct
  • Re: when calling mysql_real_connect from the c api, I get a malloc()memory corruption error.Micah Stevens29 Oct
  • Re: when calling mysql_real_connect from the c api, I get a malloc()memory corruption error.walter harms30 Oct