List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Peel Date:October 25 2008 12:50pm
Subject:Bin Files.
View as plain text
Hi all,

I had a server pretty much locked up this morning due to the mysql bin logs filling up the
/var filesystem.

I had been investigating the my.cnf settings file a white back, got sidetracked, and never
finished it.

The bin logs are named:

/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000001
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000002
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000003
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000004

I assume a new one is created each time the mysql server is started. I had to shut down
all services on the server, delete all these files and restart everything.

Anywho, the two questions are:

1. Are these files used when 'fixing' tables, or, are they only used for the master/salve
replication?

2. Is it safe to, and how do I, turn off the bin logs altogether (there are no slave
servers),

3. What my.cnf settings would you all reccomend for:

Mysql4, running on, FreeBSD 6, 1 GB Memory, var fs is 5 GB, 250 virtual domains on the
server, of which 50 may be using mysql/php (for bulliten boards etc).
(I am reading through the /usr/local/share/mysql *.cnf files ...)

Thread
Bin Files.Grant Peel25 Oct
  • Re: Bin Files.Jake Maul25 Oct
Re: Bin Files.Madan Thapa26 Oct