List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<emierzwa Date:October 16 2008 2:01pm
Subject:RE: Does MySQL have RETURNING in the language?
View as plain text
No, not unique to PostgreSQL. Microsoft SQL Server has the OUTPUT
Clause. The major difference is MS has an extra feature that allows the
OUTPUT or some form of the output to be reused in yet another INSERT.
This would allow you to DELETE a block rows from table and insert them
into a work table for further processing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177564(SQL.90).aspx

Returns information from, or expressions based on, each row affected by
an INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statement. These results can be returned to
the processing application for use in such things as confirmation
messages, archiving, and other such application requirements.
Alternatively, results can be inserted into a table or table variable.

Ed