List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:October 4 2008 8:43am
Subject:Re: mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access
View as plain text
Hi Varuna,

I think you're missing the "-u" option (User for login if not current user.)

Try: "mysqladmin" -u root -p shutdown

(-p without a value indicates to prompt for a password from the terminal.)

Andy

Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> I am using WinXP.I am wanted to shutdown MySQL service from the command line
> and ran the command "mysqladmin" -p root shutdown next the root password was
> asked for,I entered the correct password, when I entered the password the
> below displayed error was the result
>
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
>

> How can I correct this?
> Is this because of a firewall preventing access to port 3306?If a firewall
> is preventing access how was it able to ask for the password?
>
> I have Nortan Internet Security trial version running and the windows
> firewall is disabled.If this is caused by a firewall barrier please tell me
> how to open the port in Nortan Internet Security.
>

> Varuna

Thread
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'Varuna Seneviratna4 Oct
  • Re: mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Accessdenied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'Pintér Tibor4 Oct