List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:October 3 2008 5:50pm
Subject:Re: simple design choice
View as plain text
Hi,

Personally I would do #3 as well.  Have an exact copy (structurally) of
your original table, when the record is deleted then move the account's
details to your deleted_users table so it doesn't appear in users but
you still have all the details.

Not sure if it's possible in MySQL but in other database systems you can
create a DELETE trigger that does this automatically when a record is
deleted, so your application only has to worry about issuing one query.

Andy

Fish Kungfu wrote:
> I would do #3.
>

> On 10/3/08, Alex K <spaceoutlet@stripped> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a table of a 1 million users. I want to add a flag called
>> delete if a user wants to delete his account. Note that this situation
>> does not happen a lot.
>>
>> 1) Should I alter my users table and add a delete flag to the users table.

>> 2) Should I create a new table user_id, flag already prefilled with
>> all user_ids.
>>
>> 3) Should I create a new table called deleted_users that has a user_id
>> if this user wants to be deleted.

>> data.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> --

simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceRob Wultsch3 Oct
    • Re: simple design choiceMr. Shawn H. Corey3 Oct
      • Re: simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
        • RE: simple design choiceUS Data Export3 Oct
        • Re: simple design choiceMoon's Father24 Oct
  • RE: simple design choiceMartin Gainty3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceFish Kungfu3 Oct
    • Re: simple design choiceAndy Shellam3 Oct