List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Gainty Date:October 3 2008 4:58pm
Subject:RE: simple design choice
View as plain text

I would say providing a table to retain the users relevant details especially after
marking as deleted would be a logical choice

Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content
contained within this transmission.

> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:49:07 +0200
> From: spaceoutlet@stripped
> To: mysql@stripped
> Subject: simple design choice
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a table of a 1 million users. I want to add a flag called
> delete if a user wants to delete his account. Note that this situation
> does not happen a lot.
>
> 1) Should I alter my users table and add a delete flag to the users table.
> >> it's easy to update however it uses a lot of unnecessary space.
>
> 2) Should I create a new table user_id, flag already prefilled with
> all user_ids.
>
> 3) Should I create a new table called deleted_users that has a user_id
> if this user wants to be deleted.
> >> it's hassle to update but takes into consideration the spareness of the
> data.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alex

simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceRob Wultsch3 Oct
    • Re: simple design choiceMr. Shawn H. Corey3 Oct
      • Re: simple design choiceAlex K3 Oct
        • RE: simple design choiceUS Data Export3 Oct
        • Re: simple design choiceMoon's Father24 Oct
  • RE: simple design choiceMartin Gainty3 Oct
  • Re: simple design choiceFish Kungfu3 Oct
    • Re: simple design choiceAndy Shellam3 Oct