List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rene Fournier Date:September 23 2008 2:04pm
Subject:Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem
View as plain text
Appreciate the suggestions, some of which I've done. The processlist
typically just shows the known PHP command-line scripts that run.
Maybe 8-10 on average, 20 max.

Here's a strange thing: If I stop all the requests to MySQL (shut down
Apache, and exit all the commandline PHP scripts), MySQL's CPU usage
remains high.  So... no processes in MySQL, nothing hitting the
database, yet MySQL CPU stays stuck at 60-70%.

If I shutdown MySQL and restart, it's normal again.

Weird, no?

On 23-Sep-08, at 3:47 PM, Doug Bridgens wrote:

> [...]
> until someone asks the right one.
>
> However, I would put some debugging into the 30% scripts to check
> they complete before the next one starts, as if one script takes
> slightly longer (especially if the queries are the same) to complete
> then the rest build up quickly.   Something else could be locking
> the table that your cron queries are trying to access, causing the
> stacking that never recovers.
>
> Once the problem occurs I'd be using 'show processlist' in mysql,
> and vmstat and ps to check the system resources.   Is it definitely
> mysql, or php/apache, a slow disk, etc..
>
> In terms of your stats below, I  have (on a fairly average spec
> server) 500 queries per second and 2000 open tables.   So, unless
> it's a PC or very badly tuned, it should be fine.
>
> cheers,
> Doug
>

> On 23 Sep 2008, at 14:16, Rene Fournier wrote:
>
>> 10% of queries are web-based (Apache/PHP).
>> 30% of queries are from command-line PHP scripts that get executed
>> (average 1/second -- they end with mysql_close() btw).
>> 60% of queries are from command-line PHP scripts that run
>> continuously (in a loop, with sleep()), acting on incoming socket
>> data.
>>
>> ...Rene
>>
>> On 23-Sep-08, at 2:20 PM, Jeffrey Santos wrote:
>>
>>> Rene,
>>>
>>> How are you querying the database during normal use?  What kind of
>>> applications are you using?
>>>
>>> ~Jeffrey Santos
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Rene Fournier
>>> <m5@stripped> wrote:
>>> Uptime: 1054977  Threads: 10  Questions: 15576766  Slow queries:
>>> 229  Opens: 489  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 483  Queries per
>>> second avg: 14.765
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I know what the slow queries are--some that take 20-30 seconds to
>>> compute, and they are normal. The number of open tables seems
>>> high, no? The database that gets 95% of the load has ~35 tables in
>>> total.
>>>
>>> As for cron jobs, I have a number of command-line PHP scripts that
>>> perform regular queries. They've been running for about 10 days
>>> now. The current high CPU state started a couple days ago.
>>>

>>> On 22-Sep-08, at 8:30 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
>>>
>>> curious if you have any cron jobs starting to execute?
>>>
>>> what does mysqladmin status show ?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>> Disclaimer and confidentiality note
>>> Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the
>>> official business of Sender. This transmission is of a
>>> confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution to
>>> any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not
>>> necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.

>>> 20-30%
>>> nothing else

>>> back to

>>> 5.0.51a)

>>> Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.

Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemRene Fournier22 Sep
Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemRene Fournier22 Sep
  • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemJeffrey Santos23 Sep
    • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemRene Fournier23 Sep
      • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemDoug Bridgens23 Sep
        • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemRene Fournier23 Sep
          • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problemDoug Bridgens23 Sep
        • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psRene Fournier23 Sep
          • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psKen Menzel23 Sep
            • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psRene Fournier24 Sep
              • RE: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psMartin Gainty24 Sep
                • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psRene Fournier30 Sep
              • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psKen Menzel24 Sep
                • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psRene Fournier30 Sep
                  • Re: Ancient, unsolved high-CPU problem -- vmstat, top and psKen Menzel30 Sep