List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Res Date:September 18 2008 12:21am
Subject:Re: valid chars mysql db username
View as plain text
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Mr. Shawn H. Corey wrote:

>> Thanks, but is there any technical reason where using "@" might break
>> something? However if there's even the slightest risk of an implosion,
>> naturally we will not.
>
> Even if MySQL accepts it, think of all the other software it might pass
> thru:  browsers, web servers, shells, spam filters, mail filters.
> Limiting usernames to alphanums plus underscore reduces potential
> problems.

That's the thing, it works with scripts, it works with Email and ftp
and members auth logins etc etc etc as user@host, so thats why I wondered
if mysql itself got fussy about its own database having stuff like that in
it. The system works now, but the sql user is the hosts systems uid
prefixed with some chars, as is their database names, we do have an
internal reason for wanting the host<systemuid> to reflect the same login
as all other sections use, it also reduced CSR workloads by not having to
deal with customers who have not used their DB but want to now and forget
their login to the db :)

--
Cheers
Res

"The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
-Freiheit
Thread
valid chars mysql db usernameRes17 Sep
  • Re: valid chars mysql db usernamePeter Brawley17 Sep
    • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep
      • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameMr. Shawn H. Corey18 Sep
        • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep
      • Re: valid chars mysql db usernamePeter Brawley18 Sep
        • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep