List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mr. Shawn H. Corey Date:September 17 2008 10:45pm
Subject:Re: valid chars mysql db username
View as plain text
On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 08:34 +1000, Res wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Peter Brawley wrote:
>
> >> I'm looking at using the "@" symbol
> >
> > Don't. Restrict yourself to alphanums and '_'.
>
> Thanks, but is there any technical reason where using "@" might break
> something? However if there's even the slightest risk of an implosion,
> naturally we will not.

Even if MySQL accepts it, think of all the other software it might pass
thru:  browsers, web servers, shells, spam filters, mail filters.
Limiting usernames to alphanums plus underscore reduces potential
problems.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

"Where there's duct tape, there's hope."
        Cross Time Cafe

"Perl is the duct tape of the Internet."
        Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster

"There is more than one way to do things."
        A Perl axiom

Thread
valid chars mysql db usernameRes17 Sep
  • Re: valid chars mysql db usernamePeter Brawley17 Sep
    • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep
      • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameMr. Shawn H. Corey18 Sep
        • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep
      • Re: valid chars mysql db usernamePeter Brawley18 Sep
        • Re: valid chars mysql db usernameRes18 Sep