List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Hunter Date:August 29 2008 2:58am
Subject:Re: Normalization vs. Performance
View as plain text
At 2:11pm -0400 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, John Smith wrote:
> So how bad is this? The mentioned query will be the query which is used
> the most in my application (yes, it is going to be a forum).
> Should I break normalization and save the date of the root in each node row?

My recommendation is no.  Normalization is a Good Thing, and you'll be
hard-pressed to convince me otherwise.  In the long run, you (or
following programmers) will thank yourself if you maintain a normalized
core data model.  Seriously.

But speed and performance are the here-and-now issues while DB
technology "catches up" to demands.  Have you looked at temporary tables
or materialized views?  These might help you in this endeavor.

Kevin
Thread
Normalization vs. PerformanceJohn Smith26 Aug
  • Re: Normalization vs. PerformanceKevin Hunter29 Aug
    • RE: Normalization vs. PerformanceJerry Schwartz29 Aug
      • Re: Normalization vs. PerformanceArthur Fuller29 Aug
  • Re: Normalization vs. PerformanceMartijn Tonies29 Aug