List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bryan Irvine Date:August 28 2008 9:31pm
Subject:Re: recommended high availability setups
View as plain text
I saw that.  That's what initially got me thinking that I might need
to look elsewhere for a different HA solution.

The biggest thing is that the DB is for a hosting company.  This
company could add databases for their clients upon a request and at
any point during the day.  The current master-master that I've got set
up and working in my test environment requires the MySQL server be
restarted because you have to manually add the databases you want to
sync to the my.cnf file.

Then upon rebooting the 'slave/master' you have to manually add it
back to the slave in order to receive it's updates again.

I'm not sure if this is the best way or not.

Do you use the drbd method?  Are any of these things accounted for in
that solution?

-Bryan

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Jimmy Guerrero <Jimmy.Guerrero@stripped> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It isn't without its pros and cons (just like any other HA solution), but
> you might want to check out DRBD.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/faqs-mysql-drbd-heartbeat.html
>
> -- Jimmy
>
> Bryan Irvine wrote:
>>
>> What's the recommended method for high-availability setups?
>>
>> I've currently got a master-master replication setup that I'm testing
>> but it doesn't quite seem as complete a solution as I had pictured.
>>
>> When a failed server comes back online you still have to manually add
>> it based off of the line numbers/binlog correct?  And adding a new DB
>> requires reloading the MySQL server?
>>
>> I've been looking around at other technologies as well like linux-ha.
>> What are other people using for systems that have to be up 100% of the
>> time but aren't complete nightmares to manage?
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> -Bryan

Thread
recommended high availability setupsBryan Irvine28 Aug
  • Re: recommended high availability setupsJimmy Guerrero28 Aug
    • Re: recommended high availability setupsBryan Irvine28 Aug
    • Re: recommended high availability setupsBryan Irvine28 Aug
      • Re: recommended high availability setupsDan Nelson28 Aug
  • RE: recommended high availability setupsMartin Gainty29 Aug