List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:August 22 2008 8:39am
Subject:Re: Zip Codes with Leading Zeros
View as plain text
FYI, we have the same issue with exporting phone numbers from MS SQL.
All phones numbers
in the UK start with zero which causes no end of grief when exporting
data to Excel.

Even if we then change the column data type to "text", it doesn't put
the zeros back in
(it's like Excel has deleted them.)  We have to put an extra format on
the field in Excel
of "00000000000" (11 zeros) which says that the field should be 11
characters long with
zeros where there isn't a value - so the phone number 1999100200
becomes 01999100200.

Of course it's easier for us knowing that a phone number is always 11
digits ... ;-)

Andy

Quoting Keith Spiller <larentium@stripped>:

> Thanks for all your suggestions Tom.  The mixed 5 digit zip code and
> 10 digit zip+4 code data set are in a varchar(20) field.
>
> I don't recall if the data was identical in both the CSV and Excel
> files, but I do remember I had the same problem.  It's been many
> months since I imported the original data into MySQL and I still
> need to repair the damage zip codes before we attempt another export
> to Excel.
>
> I believe your final suggestion is my necessary route.  Thanks again
> for your help Tom.
>
> Keith
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]"
> <Tom.Kralidis@stripped>

Zip Codes with Leading ZerosKeith Spiller22 Aug
  • RE: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosTom [Burlington] Kralidis22 Aug
    • Re: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosKeith Spiller22 Aug
      • Re: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosAndy Shellam22 Aug
        • RE: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosJerry Schwartz22 Aug
      • Re: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosJason Pruim22 Aug
  • RE: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosJerry Schwartz22 Aug
Re: Zip Codes with Leading ZerosKeith Spiller22 Aug
  • Re: Zip Codes with Leading Zeroswalter harms22 Aug