List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:August 11 2008 3:14pm
Subject:Re: Help with Table structure
View as plain text
Not sure how someone can intelligently comment on your table structure
when you haven't given any details of the data you are storing.  In my
experience, the fact that you have 75 fields in your table is a strong
indicator that your data is not normalized.  If that is the case you
tables are likely much larger than they need to be and queries may be
slower.

In general the larger your tables are the slower queries are going to
be, if it is too slow for you depends on your hardware and how fast you
need it to be.  Also not knowing how large the 75 fields are, makes it
hard to make any guess on this either.  If they are all INTs or
char(1)s, then that really isn't that much data and half a million
records won't be all that much to handle.

You also don't mention which database engine you are using.  MyISAM will
be much faster than some of the others, if you don't need to do
transactions that would be what I would use.

Velen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table containing 75 fields with a primary index and index set on 5 other
> fields.  Everything is working fine so far as the table contains only about 80,000
> records.  I expect these records to reach 500,000 by end of september.
>
> I would like to know:
> - if the number of records will slow down my queries when I search on the indexed
> fields?
> - if manipulating the records within the table will be slow, (i.e. insert into
> table..., delete from table..., subqueries)
>
> Can anyone advise?  Also, if you have a similar table please let me know your pros
> and cons for this kind of table structure.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Velen

Thread
Help with Table structureVelen10 Aug
  • Re: Help with Table structureChris W11 Aug
  • Re: Help with Table structureVelen11 Aug
    • Failed to initialize the master info structureCharles Brown11 Aug
      • Re: Failed to initialize the master info structureMichael Dykman11 Aug
        • Re: Failed to initialize the master info structureMoon's Father12 Aug