List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mr. Shawn H. Corey Date:July 31 2008 5:30pm
Subject:Re: SET vs. ENUM
View as plain text
On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:47 -0500, Chris W wrote:
> My thought is you should develop an application that will give your
> users the information they need with out direct access to the DB.  My
> thought is, if a user doesn't have a solid understanding of at least 1st
> and 2nd normal form, and basic joins, they should not be given direct
> access to the DB.  Doing so would be kind of like giving a 16 year old
> kid the keys to a 200mph race car and say have fun.  Sooner or later
> something bad is going to happen.  Just my opinion.

Actually, it's scarier to give access to people who know what they're
doing.  They're the ones who would know how to sabotage it.  Access
should only be granted to those who need it to do their jobs.  Everyone
else should be restricted to using a user interface with predefined
pathways.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

"Where there's duct tape, there's hope."

"Perl is the duct tape of the Internet."
        Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster

Thread
SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
      • Re: SET vs. ENUMChris W31 Jul
        • Re: SET vs. ENUMMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
          • Re: SET vs. ENUMChris W31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMPerrin Harkins31 Jul
    • Re: SET vs. ENUMMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
      • Re: SET vs. ENUMPerrin Harkins31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies1 Aug