List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:July 31 2008 4:47pm
Subject:Re: SET vs. ENUM
View as plain text
Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> [JS] No, you've made several good points. My reasoning is that inexperienced
> folks using this table through MS Access don't generally understand enough
> about database design to create the necessary JOINs to do it right. Perhaps
> the trade-off is a bad one.

My thought is you should develop an application that will give your
users the information they need with out direct access to the DB.  My
thought is, if a user doesn't have a solid understanding of at least 1st
and 2nd normal form, and basic joins, they should not be given direct
access to the DB.  Doing so would be kind of like giving a 16 year old
kid the keys to a 200mph race car and say have fun.  Sooner or later
something bad is going to happen.  Just my opinion.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com

Thread
SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
      • Re: SET vs. ENUMChris W31 Jul
        • Re: SET vs. ENUMMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
          • Re: SET vs. ENUMChris W31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMPerrin Harkins31 Jul
    • Re: SET vs. ENUMMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
      • Re: SET vs. ENUMPerrin Harkins31 Jul
    • RE: SET vs. ENUMJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: SET vs. ENUMMartijn Tonies1 Aug