List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 31 2008 2:37pm
Subject:Re: Re-arranging fields
View as plain text
> >> [JS] I added a dozen or so columns for a special purpose, and although
> >MySQL
> >> doesn't care I wanted them in a certain order that would be intuitive
> >to a
> >> user / programmer.
> >
> >Why is a user looking at your database?
> >
> >This is a security breach.  Users should only have access thru
> >pre-defined SQL statements.
> >
> [JS] Users will have read-only access through MS Access, and have to
filter
> on various fields.
>
> If we weren't trying to make our database designs somewhat intuitive, we'd
> name all of our fields x1, x2, x3 ....

There's actually companies that do -almost- just that.

Either way, the -order- has nothing to do with readable names. If you filter
on fields, can't you order the list to filter on? Or do you simply fetch
them from
the db and that's that?

Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz30 Jul
  • Re: Re-arranging fieldsRanjeet Walunj30 Jul
    • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul
      • RE: Re-arranging fieldsMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
        • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul
          • RE: Re-arranging fieldsMr. Shawn H. Corey31 Jul
            • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: Re-arranging fieldsRob Wultsch30 Jul
    • Re: Re-arranging fieldsRob Wultsch31 Jul
    • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: Re-arranging fieldsMr. Shawn H. Corey30 Jul
    • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul
  • Re: Re-arranging fieldsMartijn Tonies31 Jul
    • RE: Re-arranging fieldsJerry Schwartz31 Jul