List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:July 21 2008 4:34pm
Subject:Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard Drive
View as plain text
At 11:14 AM 7/21/2008, you wrote:
>Copying 5GB files shows you what kind of performance you would get for
>working with say video, or anything with large contiguous files.
>Database access tends to be random, so you want a drive with faster
>random access, not streaming speed. Try copying thousands of small
>files and compare the speeds.
>
>One odd thing to check is if the "old" drive supports command queueing
>and the new one does not. I assume that are both SATA drives. All SCSI
>drives support command queueing and it can make a huge difference
>depending on access patterns.
>
>Brent

There is an excellent HD benchmarking program called HD Tach and is
available at http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach.
They have a large list of benchmarked drives so you can see how well  your
drive compares to those listed. Compare performance for random access, or
sequential reads/writes. It is a must have if you need the fastest drives
possible. They have a free version or a registered version.

Mike

Thread
Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DrivePhil21 Jul
  • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DriveAnanda Kumar21 Jul
    • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DrivePhil21 Jul
      • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DriveAnanda Kumar21 Jul
        • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DrivePhil21 Jul
      • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DriveBrent Baisley21 Jul
        • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard Drivemos21 Jul
        • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DriveWm Mussatto21 Jul
          • Re: Major Performance Degradation after replacing Hard DrivePhil22 Jul