List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:June 26 2008 6:12pm
Subject:Re: Query - One-to-Many question
View as plain text
Tina

 >Basically, if the subject is "ME", then I want to select that row.
 >If there is no row for that catalog_number that has a subject of "ME",
 >then I want to grab the row that has a course_offer_number of '1'
 >and a subject that is not equal to "ME".

Is this what you mean?

SELECT ...
FROM course_table c
JOIN course_subject s ON c.course_id=s.course_id
WHERE s.subject="ME" OR (s.course_offer_number=1 AND s.subject <> "ME");

PB

Tina Matter wrote:
> I have two tables:
>
> 1.)  A course table (stores course_id and catalog_number)
> 2.)  A course_subject table (stores course_id, catalog_number,
> subject, and course_offer_number)
>
> For each row in the course_table, there can be many rows in the
> course_subject table, due to cross-postings among different departments.
>
> Here is what I'd like to do.
>
> I would like to grab a list of catalog_numbers from the course_table,
> but I only want one row in the course_subject table.
> Basically, if the subject is "ME", then I want to select that row.
> If there is no row for that catalog_number that has a subject of "ME",
> then I want to grab the row that has a course_offer_number of '1' and
> a subject that is not equal to "ME".
> I am basically only grabbing the subject field from the course_subject
> table.   If an "ME" subject exists for a catalog_number, grab that
> one.   Otherwise, grab whatever other one exists.    This is assuming
> that there will only be one other one.
>
> Does this make sense?   I'd really like to know if there's a way to do
> this in one query.   I can probably do it in PHP with multiple
> selects, building my list as I go.   But if there's a fancy way to do
> this in one query, then I'd much rather do it that way.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Tina

Query - One-to-Many questionTina Matter26 Jun
  • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionPeter Brawley26 Jun
    • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionTina Matter26 Jun
      • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionPeter Brawley26 Jun
        • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionTina Matter26 Jun
          • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionPeter Brawley27 Jun
            • Re: Query - One-to-Many questionTina Matter27 Jun