List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Comerford Date:May 15 2008 5:25am
Subject:Site Attack/Failure Recovery
View as plain text
Hi Folks,

I am fairly new to MySQL and I am going to be setting up a web site on a
third party hosting machine.  I continuously hear horror stories about
machines/sites being hacked and databases being destroyed.  Despite my
best efforts I am sure I have some security flaws in my site.  What I am
looking to do is provide myself with a mechanism to roll back my
database to a clean state if I happen to suffer one of these attacks (or
a failure).  I was wondering what is the best way to do this.  From my
limited knowledge of MySQL I think maybe I could use one of the following:

1) Binary Logs - Not really sure how these work but I was thinking of
maybe coping them to an off site machine every half hour and apply them
in sequence if  I need to go back to a point in time ?
2) Incremental Backups - say one every half hour, then a script to
transfer that to an off site machine that way I can get the DB back to
within the last good half hour...

I don't really know much about either so if someone could give me some
pointers as to which is best it would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
  JC
Thread
Site Attack/Failure Recovery John Comerford15 May
  • Re: Site Attack/Failure RecoveryRob Wultsch15 May
    • Re: Site Attack/Failure RecoveryJohn Comerford15 May
      • Re: Site Attack/Failure RecoveryRob Wultsch15 May
        • Re: Site Attack/Failure RecoveryJohn Comerford16 May
    • Re: Site Attack/Failure RecoveryJohn Comerford26 May