List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Neil Tompkins Date:May 14 2008 2:35pm
Subject:RE: Query execution time - MySQL
View as plain text
Thanks for your help.  In the end I've decided to use GetTickCount()

Neil

> [...]
> neildtompkins@stripped Niel,Not > > much detail there (but I'll go off
> what you provided...). Some people > > limit the actual MySQL system for times it
> TAKES MySQL to execute > > queries. For THIS to be accomplished, MySQL has built-in
> functionality > > to measure the time is takes queries to take place so it can ...
> limit > > them. So, in essence, I guess we can extract that data and get it back
> > > to you for whatever usage statistic you are looking to measure. ( See: > >
> http://www.bigresource.com/MYSQL-what-is-execution-time-of-a-query-based-on-was-a-mysql-question--0PxW0B3P.html
> > > ) or for usage in JDBC by calling the setQueryTimeout() function of a > >
> Statement object...and so forth.HOWEVER - Just so you know, if you > > execute the
> query MANUALLY via the command-line of MySQL it will tell > > you how long the query
> took. Just use normal SQL syntax, execute> > > the query on the table and VOILA!
> Your answer:mysql queryormysqlrun > > the query (use the below quoted/threaded
> example as a starting place to > > write your own query...?)Take a look at this
> thread (it basically > > explains the answer with a bit more detail on what the
> output will > > be):http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?108,51989,142404#msg-142404>
> SELECT BENCHMARK(100000000, RAND()); 1 row fetched in 0.0505s (13.2676s) > > I
> believe the results are the following: The first number is the time it > > took
> MySQL server to send the result set to the client. The second > > number (in parens)
> is the time it took MySQL server to execute the query > > itself.> > > >
> TOTAL TIME will EQUAL A + B (for total time it took on your > > server/P.C. or
> wherever you are running the query...). Many things come > > into factoring why it
> takes longer or shorter. So this is why I asked if > > you are attempting to
> optimize or what not, but that is whole new story. > > (( ----> What Operating
> System are you running? This would be helpful to > > give you the step-by-step, so
> to speak. Or perhaps provide us with a bit > > more information***Also, if you are
> looking to perhaps make it so > > queries take shorter times (optimization effort)
> to execute a little bit > > more about your MySQL database setup and machine(s)
> would be beneficial > > to us as well. ))Let me know if you have any
> questions.Standing by and I > > hope this helped you.Sincerely,Craig Huffstetlerxq
> on FreeNode #mysql | > > #apache> > > > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:13 AM,
> Neil Tompkins > > <neildtompkins@stripped> wrote:> > > >
> Hi,When performing a SQL query like SELECT Name FROM Customers. How > > do I obtain
> the time in which the query took to execute like 1.5 seconds > >
> etcThanks,Neil_________________________________________________________________All >
> > new Live Search at > >
> Live.comhttp://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000006ukm/direct/01/> > > >
> your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your > > Mobile!
Be a Hero and Win with Iron Man
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/
Thread
Query execution time - MySQLNeil Tompkins14 May
  • Re: Query execution time - MySQLCraig Huffstetler14 May
    • RE: Query execution time - MySQLNeil Tompkins14 May
      • Re: Query execution time - MySQLBen Clewett14 May
Re: Query execution time - MySQLBen Clewett14 May
  • RE: Query execution time - MySQLNeil Tompkins14 May
  • RE: Query execution time - MySQLNeil Tompkins14 May
    • Re: Query execution time - MySQLEric Frazier14 May