List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charles Lambach Date:April 29 2008 12:09pm
Subject:Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)
View as plain text
Thank you all for your suggestions.

So it's very important to make primary fields be as smaller as possible,
right? I'm going to change 'isbn' from VARCHAR(100) to VARCHAR(25) and, if
possible (I might change my code), from VARCHAR to BIGINT.

By the way, which are optimal values for "key_len" parameter when doing
EXPLAIN?

Regards,
--Charles

ISBN field is way too long, I think they just changed it to 13 characters.
>   Depending on your application leading '0' may be important so you may be
> stuck with a character field.  As was suggested, loose the '-' and spaces.
>   I don't think they are standard and I would think its easier to
> universally remove them.
> ------
> William R. Mussatto
> Systems Engineer
> http://www.csz.com
> 909-920-9154

Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Charles Lambach27 Apr
  • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Rob Wultsch27 Apr
    • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Charles Lambach28 Apr
      • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Rob Wultsch28 Apr
        • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Rob Wultsch28 Apr
          • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Wm Mussatto28 Apr
            • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Charles Lambach29 Apr
              • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Rob Wultsch29 Apr
  • Re: Optimizing table (shall I create a primary field?)Sebastian Mendel30 Apr