List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pam Astor Date:April 21 2008 2:31pm
Subject:RE: Can't get a login shell for some databases SOLVED
View as plain text
>>> The ANSI-SQL syntax is to just use GRANT to create users.  You will
>>> still need to use GRANT twice for both users: joe@'%' and joe@'localhost'.
>>>
>>> But I find the MySql syntax for creating user with CREATE USER and then
>>> GRANT easier to follow:
>>>
>>> CREATE USER joe@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'whateverpassword';
>>> CREATE USER joe@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'whateverpassword';
>>>
>>> GRANT ALL ON db1.* TO joe@'%';
>>> GRANT ALL ON db1.* TO joe@'localhost';
>>>
>>> If you see what I mean...
>>>
>>> Just remember that a user always has a host, and you should always use
>>> the two together.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Thanks Ben,
>>
>>  OK Got it,
>>
>> One more thing, I have already created these users and don't want to mess their
>> passwords up or break their associated php scripts access.
>>
>> So how do I grant users, who already have a password, localhost
>> access?
>
> A user is always paired with a host.  Therefore your user @'localhost'
> is a new user.  You will have to create with same password as existing :)
>
> Ben

That's it!  Problem solved thanks so much Ben and everyone, that's what I did not
understand.
I followed above, created same user with different host in a seperate command, and
now I can login via terminal as that user.

So with MySQL, if I understand this correctly,
even if you use the same username with a different host, technically a
same username with a different host is a totally different user?
http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A
Thread
Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor17 Apr
  • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
    • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
          • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
            • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
              • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett21 Apr
                • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databases SOLVEDPam Astor21 Apr
RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr