List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Wultsch Date:April 18 2008 5:53pm
Subject:Re: History of changed rows
View as plain text
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Peter Brawley <peter.brawley@stripped>
wrote:

> CK,
>
> > How can we manage the history of changed rows in the database.
> >

> Point-in-time architecture. For a bit of discussion see
> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/tip.php?id=547
>
> PB

I have used this convention and it works well.

I have a real problem with how it suggests using NULL. NULL is undefined,
and they are basically abusing it to mean infinite positive. NULL has issues
being indexed, big datetime values don't.

At the recent postgres convention I eavesdropped on a discussion about a
possible new temporal range format which would basically consist of a start
date and an end date and preclude any other entries from overlapping.  Such
a format would be ideal for PITA, but the start and end would need to be not
null...

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@stripped

Thread
History of changed rowsC K18 Apr
  • Re: History of changed rowsBen Clewett18 Apr
  • Re: History of changed rowsEric Frazier18 Apr
  • Re: History of changed rowsPeter Brawley18 Apr
    • Re: History of changed rowsRob Wultsch18 Apr
      • Re: History of changed rowsC K20 Apr