List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pam Astor Date:April 18 2008 2:12pm
Subject:RE: Can't get a login shell for some databases
View as plain text
> A user in MySql is not just a username, but a username and a host.
>
> The host of '%' denotes all hosts accept 'localhost'.
>
> Therefore you usually require two entries for each user:
>
> CREATE USER ben@'%' INDENTIFIED BY 'ben';
> CREATE USER ben@'localhost' INDENTIFIED BY 'ben';
>
> Does this help?

Makes sense, BUT, isn't the info between the last set of tickmarks '' the password for

the user?

When I created the users, I ran the command:

grant usage on db1.* to joe identified by 'whateverpassword';

Then I ran a second grant command:

grant select, drop, etc, on db1.* to joe;

I should probally say that my 5.0.22 MySQL database is on a centos 5.1 box.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008
Thread
Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor17 Apr
  • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
    • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
          • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
            • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
              • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett21 Apr
                • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databases SOLVEDPam Astor21 Apr
RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr