List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:April 18 2008 1:33pm
Subject:Re: Can't get a login shell for some databases
View as plain text
A user in MySql is not just a username, but a username and a host.

The host of '%' denotes all hosts accept 'localhost'.

Therefore you usually require two entries for each user:

CREATE USER ben@'%' INDENTIFIED BY 'ben';
CREATE USER ben@'localhost' INDENTIFIED BY 'ben';

Does this help?

Ben

Pam Astor wrote:
>> connectiong from shell means connecting as localhost by default, connecting
>> from PHP can be some different server and/or PHP uses the full IP
>> address/hostname of the server
>>
>> check/compare the privileges for your users for 'localhost' and '%'
>

> I ran “SELECT * from mysql.user;” the command generated a
> list.  For root it showed in the host
> column local host, the second row for root showed the name of the web server
> the mysql install is on.  The third and
> fourth rows showed no users, however the third and fourth rows showed in the
> host columns localhost and the server name, respectively.
>

>  The fifth and sixth lines showed the first non root user I created
> and for this user it showed in the host Colum the % character, and the other
> line for this user showed localhost as the host.
>

>  The seventh line shows the second non root user I created –
> it has just one line and shows localhost as the host.  All the rest of the users I
> created show the
> % character in the host column.
>

>  No IP addresses are listed anywhere.

> More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with Windows Live Messenger.
>
> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_instantaccess_042008
Thread
Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor17 Apr
  • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
    • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesSebastian Mendel18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
      • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
        • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
          • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett18 Apr
            • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr
              • Re: Can't get a login shell for some databasesBen Clewett21 Apr
                • RE: Can't get a login shell for some databases SOLVEDPam Astor21 Apr
RE: Can't get a login shell for some databasesPam Astor18 Apr