List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Date:April 8 2008 11:54am
Subject:Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns
View as plain text
Hello I've tried the following with mysql 4.1.11

SELECT * FROM quick_contact WHERE (`status` = '0') OR (`status` = '2'
AND `update` < '".(time()-864000)."') CASE WHEN `update` = '' THEN ORDER
BY `date` DESC ELSE ORDER BY `update` DESC END CASE;

It does not work but, is it my code that is wrong or is it just that
case does not work with mysql 4.1.11 ?

Thanks :)

Kristian Myllymäki a écrit :
> mysql version?
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/case-statement.html
>
> order by case when updated is not null then updated else created end desc;
>
> /Kristian
>
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Richard <mysql_list@stripped> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I've got a table which containes two date colomns.
>>  The first one is called `date` and the second `update`
>>  In the first one I put the ticket creation date, and on update I add or
>> change the update value.
>>  So the update colomn does not contain a value until the first update has
>> been done.
>>  I would like to order the tickets by their last update value. And if this
>> value does not exist use the date value.
>>
>>  at the moment I use this :
>>
>>  ORDER BY `date` DESC"
>>  and I would like to replace it by something like this :
>>
>>  ORDER (IF `update`!= '' BY UPDATE ELSE BY DATE)
>>
>>  I know this code is completly wrong, just to try and show you what I need
>>
>>  Here is an example of what I want to achieve
>>
>>  num     |       date    |       update
>>  -------------------------------------------
>>  1       |       1       |
>>  2       |       10      |       60
>>  3       |       20      |
>>  4       |       30      |
>>  5       |       40      |       90
>>  6       |       50      |
>>
>>  The required result would be :
>>
>>  num     |       date    |       update
>>  -------------------------------------------
>>  5       |       40      |       90
>>  2       |       10      |       60
>>  6       |       50      |
>>  4       |       30      |
>>  3       |       20      |
>>  1       |       1       |
>>
>>  Thanks in advance :)
>>
>>  --

Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsKristian Myllymäki8 Apr
    • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
      • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRafael Barbolo Lopes8 Apr
        • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
          • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsBen Clewett8 Apr
            • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
              • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Ben Clewett8 Apr
                • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
                  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Andy Wallace8 Apr
                    • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
                  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Ben Clewett8 Apr
      • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsTim McDaniel8 Apr
  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsBen Clewett8 Apr