List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Date:April 8 2008 11:04am
Subject:Help with ORDER BY using two colomns
View as plain text
Hello,
I've got a table which containes two date colomns.
The first one is called `date` and the second `update`
In the first one I put the ticket creation date, and on update I add or
change the update value.
So the update colomn does not contain a value until the first update has
been done.
I would like to order the tickets by their last update value. And if
this value does not exist use the date value.

at the moment I use this :

ORDER BY `date` DESC"
and I would like to replace it by something like this :

ORDER (IF `update`!= '' BY UPDATE ELSE BY DATE)

I know this code is completly wrong, just to try and show you what I
need ...

Here is an example of what I want to achieve

num	|	date	|	update
1	|	1	|
2	|	10	|	60
3	|	20	|
4	|	30	|
5	|	40	|	90
6	|	50	|

The required result would be :

num	|	date	|	update
5	|	40	|	90
2	|	10	|	60
6	|	50	|
4	|	30	|
3	|	20	|
1	|	1	|

Thanks in advance :)
Thread
Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsKristian Myllymäki8 Apr
    • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
      • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRafael Barbolo Lopes8 Apr
        • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsRichard8 Apr
          • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsBen Clewett8 Apr
            • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
              • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Ben Clewett8 Apr
                • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
                  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Andy Wallace8 Apr
                    • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Richard8 Apr
                  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomns [ solved thankyou :) ]Ben Clewett8 Apr
      • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsTim McDaniel8 Apr
  • Re: Help with ORDER BY using two colomnsBen Clewett8 Apr