List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:April 3 2008 4:16pm
Subject:Re: To replicate or not to replicate that is the question
View as plain text
This is something I do with replication.

You can replicate a list of tables, see the 'replicate_do_table' config
option.

Then you can euse the 'read_only' option.  Replication still works but
nothing else.  But it would give you more options by using GRANT instead
of 'read-only':

CREATE USER dmz@'%' IDENTIFIED BY ...;
GRANT SELECT ON *.* TO dmz@'%';

Then you can have a 'dba' user which can still work on the database:

CREATE USER dba@'%' IDENTIFIED BY ...;
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO dba@'%';

Ben

David Ruggles wrote:
> I need to put a read-only copy of a single table on a database on another
> server so remote customers can have read access to it. I built a new MySQL
> server and placed in my DMZ. I can use SSH forwarding to access it from
> outside. Now I need to get a copy of the table from my internal MySQL server
> to this new server. I was originally planning on using replication, however
> the more I research it, the less I think it will do what I want.
>
> Here are my requirements:
> 1) Minimal changes to the internal server, can't take it down.
> 2) Single table for now, but may need more later.
> 3) New server will NEVER have write access.
> 4) Doesn't have to be real-time, but as close as possible would be nice.
>
> Does any one have any suggestions, or is replication the way to go?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Ruggles
> CCNA MCSE (NT) CNA A+
> Network Engineer	Safe Data, Inc.
> (910) 285-7200	david@stripped

Thread
To replicate or not to replicate that is the questionDavid Ruggles3 Apr
  • Re: To replicate or not to replicate that is the questionBen Clewett3 Apr
  • Re: To replicate or not to replicate that is the questionBen Roberts3 Apr