List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert DiFalco Date:April 1 2008 5:01pm
Subject:Indices in InnoDB/MySQL
View as plain text
I've been told that an index always contains the primary key. So if I
have a LONG ID that is the primary key of table and create on index on
LONG VALUE, the index on LONG VALUE will actually work as a typical
compound index on ID,VALUE. My question is this, if I don't know that
about MySQL and create my indices on purpose (i.e. not taking into
account implementation details about MySQL) I would create the index
explicitly on ID,VALUE. If I did that would I effectively have the same
index as one on just VALUE or would there some how be duplicate data in
the ID,VALUE index (i.e. ID, ID, VALUE)?

Indices in InnoDB/MySQLRobert DiFalco1 Apr
  • Re: Indices in InnoDB/MySQLBaron Schwartz7 Apr
Re: Indices in InnoDB/MySQLWm Mussatto1 Apr
  • RE: Indices in InnoDB/MySQLRobert DiFalco1 Apr
Re: Indices in InnoDB/MySQLPaul DuBois1 Apr