List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:paul rivers Date:March 29 2008 4:04pm
Subject:Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For
View as plain text
Ofer Inbar wrote:
> It appears to be an article for perl programmers not familiar with
> MySQL, warning them of MySQL quirks they should be aware of.  If you
> write a perl script with DBD::MySQL and try one of the examples he
> gave, and check your return status to see if the statement succeeded,
> does it appear to have succeeded?  If so, unless you're very familiar
> with MySQL specifically, you probably wouldn't think to look for
> warnings, and parse them, just to make sure that the statement that
> succeeded actually did what it was supposed to do.  Definitely a
> potential pitfall that someone writing perl scripts for MySQL needs
> to be aware of and know how to work around.
>   -- Cos

Or it could be seen as an article for someone used to other databases.
Most other databases will throw hard errors in similar cases, not a
warning, and roll back the transaction. MySQL's handling of errors in
this case as warnings is really a leftover from the MyISAM days, where
it was done as the perceived least bad option for error handling in a
transaction-less environment. As MySQL tries to move into the full
featured RDBMS world, it's pretty clearly not a feature. I hardly think
(as someone else said) this is anyone with an axe to grind.

Paul

Thread
[OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out Forobed28 Mar
  • Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out ForPeter Brawley28 Mar
    • Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out ForArthur Fuller29 Mar
      • Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out ForOfer Inbar29 Mar
        • Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out Forpaul rivers29 Mar
  • Re: [OT] When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out ForBaron Schwartz29 Mar