List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nanni Claudio Date:March 28 2008 9:43am
Subject:R: Multiple instances howto
View as plain text
Hi Jing,

Logically speaking,
you can run as many instances of mysql as you want,
but you have to make an installation for each mysql instance.
On each instance you can have as many databases as you want.
From my experience here is the key:

1) One different mysql user (mysql41,mysql50) for each mysql installation.

2) put .my.cnf file in the home directory of each mysql user with the right parameters.
This is the way I have found not to conflict between instances.
The socket file is a file name you  have to assign to each instance,
Use a different name for each instance.

:-----.my.cnf------------:
# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3515
socket          = /tmp/mysql5015.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 256M
max_allowed_packet = 1M

3) Of course each mysql instance must bind to a different port(3306,3316,3326)

Let me know.

Aloha!

Claudio Nanni