List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:March 23 2008 4:06pm
Subject:Re: MSQL Installed and running in background
View as plain text
Andrew,

>I have successfully install mysql and is is running in the background
> as a service ( I believe) as in msconfig lists it in the services. Is
> there something I should see in the task bar down at the bottom.

A Windows service is not a "task". If Windows services were to show as taskbar icons, the
taskbar would be unusably cluttered. Check the status of a service in My Computer |
Services and Applications | Services.

You can download MySQL GUI Tools from the MySQL website, including MySQL Administrator and
Query Browser. There are also excellent third party tools eg Eclipse with SQL Browser,
Toad for MySQL, WebYog &c.

> Now what should I do next? Do i need a gui to log in and created
> databases? If so, what should I download.

If you are mostly a Windows user, I'd suggest taking some time to get familiar with the
MySQL command-line interface, because it's basic to understanding MySQL and because there
will be times when any GUI tool lets you down.

PB

Thread
MSQL Installed and running in backgroundAndrewMcHorney23 Mar
  • Re: MSQL Installed and running in backgroundCraig Huffstetler23 Mar
    • Re: MSQL Installed and running in backgroundPeter Brawley23 Mar