List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:efrazier Date:April 20 1999 5:08pm
Subject:varchar changing chars to varchars
View as plain text
Hi,

A while ago when asking about ALTER TABLE I was told that changing a field
from char to varchar will result in the other chars in that table being
converted to varchars, which it certainly seemed to have done, but when the
table was made that way in the first place it at least looks like it is
allowed. I just noticed I have a table that has varchar and chars at the
same time. I thought this was not possible?

mysql> explain Section_numbers;
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field   | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Chapter | char(3)      | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| Section | smallint(6)  |      | PRI | 0       |       |
| Name    | varchar(100) |      | MUL |         |       |
| Type    | char(3)      |      | MUL |         |       |

Thanks,

Eric

Thread
varchar changing chars to varcharsefrazier20 Apr
  • Re: varchar changing chars to varcharsSasha Pachev20 Apr
  • Re: varchar changing chars to varcharsPaul DuBois20 Apr