List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Laurent Cerveau Date:March 5 2008 7:25am
Subject:Re: Multiple revision of a record
View as plain text
Thanks to all for the answers. I have now some tries to do!

Laurent

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Jerry Schwartz <jschwartz@the-
infoshop.com> wrote:

> The tack we take is to have a separate table that tracks changes. It
> does,
> of necessity, contain the same fields as the original record
> (including the
> ID of the records being modified). It also contains fields that
> specify
> whether the record was deleted or updated, when, and by whom. There
> is also
> a text field containing the names of the fields that were changed. We
> capture the "before" data, since the original record has the "after"
> data.
> (At least I think we do, this part of the system is rather murky.)
>

> If there is only one field that you need to track, that simplifies
> things a
> lot. You won't need the list of changed fields, etc.
>

> This is probably the only way to do it, even though it is expensive.
> Our
> transaction volume is very low, and our database is relatively small.
>

> Regards,
>

> Jerry Schwartz
>
> The Infoshop by Global Information Incorporated
>
> 195 Farmington Ave.
>
> Farmington, CT 06032
>

> 860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
>

> <http://www.the-infoshop.com> www.the-infoshop.com
>
> <http://www.giiexpress.com> www.giiexpress.com
>
> www.etudes-marche.com

Thread
Multiple revision of a recordLaurent Cerveau4 Mar
  • Re: Multiple revision of a recordPeter Brawley4 Mar
Re: Multiple revision of a recordJerry Schwartz4 Mar
  • Re: Multiple revision of a recordLaurent Cerveau5 Mar