List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thufir Date:March 2 2008 8:46am
Subject: what is a schema? what is a database?
View as plain text
I've been referencing a variety of sources, including wikipedia.  What I
know about a schema is that in SQLite the .schema command will show the
the SQL structure of that databases tables, which would be analogous to
"DESCRIBE foo" in MySQL (with the difference that SQLite shows all tables
in one go).

The schema is the structure of the database?

I'm trying to understand what the wikipedia article is driving at.  I
would assume that only tables which are related go in the same database?
That would my instinct, at least.  Tables which are unrelated going into
a different database.

The quote from wikipedia:

The problem that arises is that former MySQL users will mistakenly create
multiple databases for one project. In this context MySQL databases are
analogous in function to Postgres-schemas, insomuch as Postgres lacks off-
the-shelf cross-database functionality that MySQL has. Conversely,
Postgres has rightfully applied more of the specification, in a sane-
bottom-up approach, implementing cross-table, cross-schema, and then left
room for future cross-database functionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems#Databases_vs_Schemas_.28terminology.29

thanks,

Thufir

Thread
what is a schema? what is a database?Thufir2 Mar
  • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?bmurphy2 Mar
  • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Martin Gainty3 Mar
  • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Thufir4 Mar
    • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Paul DuBois4 Mar
  • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Thufir5 Mar
    • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Joerg Bruehe5 Mar
  • Re: what is a schema? what is a database?Thufir5 Mar