List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:February 11 2008 1:34am
Subject:Re: If I downgrade MySQL from ver-5 to ver-4.
View as plain text
Brown, Charles wrote:
> Hello. Can someone tell me if I will run into any problems?
> 1. If I downgrade MySQL from ver-5 to ver-4.
> 2. If I run replication between version 4 and version 5 of the software.
> Meaning slave is version 4 and the master is version 5.
>
> Some back ground:
> We have replication implemented. Currently, both are running version
> 5.0.29. My management wants one of these servers to run version 4.
> (Don't ask me why). Will there be any repercussions. Please help me. I
> need to provide an answer before 8am Monday. Thanks
>

> My management suggests we down grade to RHEl 4 of mySQl

You can downgrade your OS without downgrading your MySQL server. The two
are not locked together.

Yes, you could experience many problems. There have been many many bugs
fixed in 5.0.29 that will still exist in your version 4 downgrade. To
identify the differences between the two versions, please refer to the
change logs in the online manual.  More than one of those fixes changed
something about how replication failed to handle one kind of problem or
another. This means that there will be elements in the 5.0.x replication
stream that your 4.x server will be unable to recognize or handle properly.

For the most recent changes to the Community server, please read:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/releasenotes-cs-5-0-51a.html

--
Shawn Green, Support Engineer
MySQL Inc., USA, www.mysql.com

Thread
Where are actual databases stored?Riccardo Perotti8 Feb
  • Re: Where are actual databases stored?Paolo Amodio8 Feb
    • Re: Where are actual databases stored?Wm Mussatto8 Feb
    • If I downgrade MySQL from ver-5 to ver-4. Charles Brown9 Feb
      • Re: If I downgrade MySQL from ver-5 to ver-4.Shawn Green11 Feb
  • Re: Where are actual databases stored?Erik Giberti8 Feb
Re: Where are actual databases stored?Paolo Amodio8 Feb