List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:February 2 2008 2:45am
Subject:Re: Convert Dbase file to mysql and enter data
View as plain text
Andrew,

>I have a dbase3 database that I would like to convert to mysql.

A dBASE III "database" isn't a database but rather a single ASCII
fixed-field-length data table with a binary header describing data
layout. I think these are your main choices: (i) if you have an xbase
product on hand (dBASE  III, Clipper, FoxPro &c), open the file in that
tool, export its data via SET ALTE; (ii) if you Google for 'dbf to
mysql', you will find a few tools that do the job for various xbase
inputs; (iii) and most fiddly, strip off the binary header, decode it
manually or with an xbase tool, then write a script in a language with a
MySQL API (C, PHP, Perl, Access, .NET, Java, Python, Ruby) to import the
fix-length rows of data into an appropriately defined MySQL table.

PB

andrewmchorney@stripped wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a dbase3 database that I would like to convert to mysql. After I download
> mysql (need a link to a stable version), what do I need to do to create a mysql database
> with the dbase fields and then import the data. In addition is there some sort of gui tool
> that will allow me to enter data and this uses a insert sql statement (in the background)
> to put the data in the database. I know sql but I would like to get a quick jump on it.
>
> Andrew

Thread
Convert Dbase file to mysql and enter dataandrewmchorney2 Feb
  • Re: Convert Dbase file to mysql and enter dataPeter Brawley2 Feb