List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:January 31 2008 11:32pm
Subject:Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30
View as plain text
Eli Shemer wrote:
> Actually I'm not in liberty to reveal but it is essential to the project.

In that case, I am awe-struck, even astounded, at the possibilities
suggested by this hint.  You must be working on a project that is
literally astronomical in scope.  Please, let me explain how I came to
this conclusion:

Let the size of the universe be our unit quantity.  No one knows how big
the universe really is, but if it is finite, 100 billion light years is
plausible, and it is a nice, easy number to work with.

One light year is, very approximately, 10 trillion kilometers.

The average grain of sand is a bit smaller than a millimeter.  There are
a million millimeters per kilometer.

10^11 * 10^13 * 10^6 = 10^30

In other words, the current system is sufficient for establishing the
location of every grain of sand in the universe at this scale.  If we
rescale by making use of the digits we're allowed to the left of the
decimal point, we can probably describe the location of every atom in
the universe instead.  You must be working on something absolutely
mind-blowing for this amount of precision to be insufficient.

Good luck with your project, and I hope it is as excellent as your hint
suggests.
Thread
Decimal - Maximum is 30Eli Shemer30 Jan
  • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Warren Young30 Jan
RE: Decimal - Maximum is 30Eli Shemer31 Jan
  • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Michael Dykman31 Jan
  • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Warren Young1 Feb
    • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Michael Cole1 Feb
      • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Warren Young1 Feb
  • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Martin Gainty1 Feb
    • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Peter Brawley1 Feb
      • Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30Paul DuBois1 Feb