List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<groups Date:January 25 2008 8:15pm
Subject:Re: Transactions with ODBC
View as plain text
Thank you for your response. I am using InnoDB (picked that out of the docs).

Does that mean what I did should have worked? I should not have had 2 rows in that table
after running the commands?

Thanks again...

>I would like to wrap my updates top MySQL in transactions.

Use InnoDB tables.

PB

groups@stripped wrote:
> I apologize if you saw this on the MySQL Forums but I have not gotten a response...
> Thanks for your help...
>
> I know this is probably a stupid question but I could use a nudge in the right
> direction.
>
> I would like to wrap my updates top MySQL in transactions. I am using ODBC as my
> means of communication (Visual FoxPro is the front end) and passing SQL statements off to
> the server one Execute at a time.
>
> I understand how I could do this with a stored procedure, or possibly even ADO, but I
> would prefer to send it one command at a time for various reasons.
>
> When I send the following series of commands through, though, it doesn't work
> although each statement tells me that it executed properly:
>
> *-- Set the connection string
> ConnectionString = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};SERVER=localhost;"
> + ; "DATABASE=test;" + ; "USER=test;"+; "PASSWORD=test;"+; "OPTION=3;"
>
> lnHandle = SQLSTRINGCONNECT(ConnectionString) &&Get the connection ?
> lnHandle &&Check the connection to make sure it worked.
> lcSQL = "START TRANSACTION"
> ? SQLEXEC(lnHandle, lcSQL)
> lcSQL = "BEGIN"
> ? SQLEXEC(lnHandle, lcSQL)
> lcSQL = "INSERT INTO n1 (n1) VALUES (1)"
> ? SQLEXEC(lnHandle, lcSQL)
> lcSQL = "INSERT INTO n1 (n1) VALUES (2)"
> ? SQLEXEC(lnHandle, lcSQL)
> lcSQL = "ROLLBACK"
> ? SQLEXEC(lnHandle, lcSQL)
>
> Yet, when I query the table after this runs, there are still two records despite the
> fact that I asked it to rollback the transaction and that all commands reported as
> executing OK.
>
> I am sure I am missing something stupid but I cannot find a decent doc on this (if
> you know of one, a reference would be appreciated).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Thread
Transactions with ODBCgroups25 Jan
  • Re: Transactions with ODBCPeter Brawley25 Jan
Re: Transactions with ODBCgroups25 Jan
  • Re: Transactions with ODBCPeter Brawley26 Jan