List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ofer Inbar Date:January 17 2008 5:26pm
Subject:valuation tangent (was Re: Sun and mysql)
View as plain text
Olaf Stein <olaf.stein@stripped> wrote:
> It will be interesting to see if facebook, youtube and alike websites will
> ever generate enough earnings to cover the costs they were bought for.
> Just because 50 million people know a website, it does not mean it makes
> money automatically.

The Google model shows that if you can get huge numbers of people to
visit your web site(s) *repeatedly*, and target advertising well, you
can make gigantic gobs of money.  Facebook in particular clearly has
the first part down: they've got millions of members who visit the
site several times a day every day (and millions more who visit
several times a week).  I think some of their ways of targeting ads
may work out, and their potential for revenue is far more than MySQL's.

YouTube... got folded into the existing Google.
Google's just trying to make sure every single one of us visits
their sites multiple times every single time we get online :)

> nuts. Maybe I am too old with 30, but I have never even been to facebook.

I think that puts you near the current median age on Facebook.  The
net moves fast!  Facebook as a site mainly for 20-somethings is so 2006 :)
  -- Cos
Thread
Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
  • RE: Sun and mysqlJay Blanchard17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlPeter17 Jan
    • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
      • valuation tangent (was Re: Sun and mysql)Ofer Inbar17 Jan
      • RE: [SPAM] - Re: Sun and mysql - Email found in subjectjmacaranas17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlBarry Newton17 Jan
    • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
      • Re: Sun and mysqlMartijn Tonies17 Jan
      • Re: Sun and mysqlMark Leith17 Jan
        • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
          • Re: Sun and mysql - sorryOlaf Stein17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlMartijn Tonies17 Jan