List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter (MySQL List) Date:January 17 2008 4:37pm
Subject:Re: Sun and mysql
View as plain text
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:07:19 -0500
Olaf Stein <olaf.stein@stripped> wrote:

> I am still amazed by the fact that youtube "is worth" 1.5 billion and
> MySQL AB barely 1 billion. Did they sell under price? Or does Google
> just have way to much many to spend/waste?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:14:36 -0600
"Jay Blanchard" <jblanchard@stripped> wrote:

> Or that Facebook is 'worth' multiple billions when they do not really
> have a way to make money yet.

Uh, you both have to be kidding comparing MySQL with Youtube and
Facebook, right?
I'm not saying the $1 billion for MySQL was the right price, I believe
it was a bargain for Sun but you are comparing apples and
oranges.

Go out on the street and ask people if they ever heard of these three.
I bet you a few people will know MySQL, a lot will know Facebook and
everybody will know Youtube.

Youtube and Facebook are websites, visited by millions of people every
day. That's what makes it it's value, future and present
advertisements.

YouTube was even used by CNN for the Republican and Democratic debates.

Did you ever hear of MySQL on TV, anywhere?

Thread
Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
  • RE: Sun and mysqlJay Blanchard17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlPeter17 Jan
    • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
      • valuation tangent (was Re: Sun and mysql)Ofer Inbar17 Jan
      • RE: [SPAM] - Re: Sun and mysql - Email found in subjectjmacaranas17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlBarry Newton17 Jan
    • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
      • Re: Sun and mysqlMartijn Tonies17 Jan
      • Re: Sun and mysqlMark Leith17 Jan
        • Re: Sun and mysqlOlaf Stein17 Jan
          • Re: Sun and mysql - sorryOlaf Stein17 Jan
  • Re: Sun and mysqlMartijn Tonies17 Jan