List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 16 2008 4:41pm
Subject:Re: database theory book recommendations?
View as plain text
> > Searching on-line is surprisingly unhelpful; the only things I've found
so
> > far which looks half-sensible are "Database is Depth" by Chris Date, and
> > "Expert mySQL" by Charles A. Bell (which looks more practical rather
than
> > theoretical).
>
> I have that book by Date.  Heavy on theory and ranting and being
> holier-than-thou, very little practical knowledge  for practitioners
> IMO.  The best books I've got for MySQL are Paul DuBois's "MySQL,"
> Pipes/Kruckenberk "Pro MySQL," and Celko's "SQL For Smarties."  And
> you should definitely check out the upcoming 2nd edition of High
> Performance MySQL when it comes out.  I'm one of the authors and I
> promise it will be an excellent book.

I very much enjoy reading "An introduction to database systems" by
Date (Eight Edition), it goes back to the root and forward from there.

Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
database theory book recommendations?Toby Douglass16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Olaf Stein16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Baron Schwartz16 Jan
    • Re: database theory book recommendations?mos16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Martijn Tonies16 Jan