List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 16 2008 3:35pm
Subject:Re: database theory book recommendations?
View as plain text
At 08:54 AM 1/16/2008, Baron Schwartz wrote:
>On Jan 16, 2008 9:40 AM, Toby Douglass <toby.douglass@stripped> wrote:
> > I'm currently applying for a developer job with mySQL.
> >
> > I want to improve my database theory knowledge.
> >
> > Any book recommendations?
> >
> > Searching on-line is surprisingly unhelpful; the only things I've found so
> > far which looks half-sensible are "Database is Depth" by Chris Date, and
> > "Expert mySQL" by Charles A. Bell (which looks more practical rather than
> > theoretical).
>
>I have that book by Date.  Heavy on theory and ranting and being
>holier-than-thou, very little practical knowledge  for practitioners
>IMO.  The best books I've got for MySQL are Paul DuBois's "MySQL,"
>Pipes/Kruckenberk "Pro MySQL," and Celko's "SQL For Smarties."  And
>you should definitely check out the upcoming 2nd edition of High
>Performance MySQL when it comes out.  I'm one of the authors and I
>promise it will be an excellent book.

Baron,
      I'm glad to hear there is going to be an update to "High Performance
MySQL". What MySQL versions will it cover and is there a table of contents
available online? TIA

Mike
Thread
database theory book recommendations?Toby Douglass16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Olaf Stein16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Baron Schwartz16 Jan
    • Re: database theory book recommendations?mos16 Jan
  • Re: database theory book recommendations?Martijn Tonies16 Jan