List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sebastian Mendel Date:January 16 2008 9:33am
Subject:Re: does 'disable networking' make mySQL faster?
View as plain text
Daevid Vincent schrieb:
> Huh? This doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> If I'm running a LAMP box (all services on the same box), and my PHP calls
> out to the mySQL database, I would expect it to use the fastest method
> possible (since it's LOCAL). If that's sockets, then that's what it should
> use. I would think this to be a horrible design flaw if the mere fact that I
> have networking enabled (for the times I want to connect SQLYog to the RDBMS
> to manually run SQL commands) should NOT slow down or hurt my PHP
> applications performance in any way, shape or form!? I seriously hope that
> by turning on networking, mySQL isn't stupid enough to then start trying to
> connect my PHP application to "localhost" via 127.0.0.1 or something equally
> assinine.
>
> Please tell me this isn't the case.

PHP mysql functions do it like you tell them: 'localhost' uses sockets,
127.0.0.1 uses networking

"host Can be either a host name or an IP address. Passing the NULL value or
the string "localhost" to this parameter, the local host is assumed. When
possible, pipes will be used instead of the TCP/IP protocol."

http://php.net/mysqli_connect

--
Sebastian Mendel
Thread